What Is a Montana Bill of Sale?
A Montana Bill of Sale is a handwritten or typed document that proves that a legal transaction between the seller and the buyer and the change of ownership took place. It provides vital information about the property identifying it and the parties to the agreement. Irrespective of what type of property you want to sell or buy, you are allowed to compose the document to prove the transfer of a certain item. A properly drafted bill of sale releases the seller from any liability, states the purchaser is now the legal owner of the goods, and protects both parties from possible future disagreements and disputes.
- Montana Generic Bill of Sale is a document that individuals and companies use to record the sale and purchase of most personal items.
- Montana Bill of Sale for Vehicle or Vessel is an official form released by the Motor Vehicle Division of the Montana Department of Justice that is required to transfer the ownership of any car or boat.
- Montana Firearm Bill of Sale is a legal document signed by two parties who wish to sell and buy any firearm from the category of legal handguns (pistols, rifles, and other similar assault weapons).
Do You Need a Bill of Sale in Montana?
Unless you are selling or buying a vehicle or vessel, there is no legal requirement to draft a Bill of Sale in Montana. However, it is advisable to prepare and sign documentation for any transaction you are a party to. The parties must reach an agreement to enter into a transaction and demonstrate the willingness to be bound to the provisions of the contract in writing. As a rule, any bill of sale includes the following information:
- Personal details of the seller and the purchaser. You must state full names and mailing addresses of the parties along with their driver's license number or state-issued identity document number;
- Description of the property. Submit all information necessary to identify the item - serial number, identification number, color, size, design, make, model, distinguishing marks, faults, and customizations;
- Location and date of the transaction;
- The total amount of money the buyer pays to the seller, including sales tax, if applicable, and the method of payment;
- Warranties and guarantees. If the document does not contain the warranty provision, the property is being sold and transferred "as is", which means the purchaser buys the item after the inspection and deems it acceptable at the time of the sale;
- Signatures of the parties. They make the contract legally binding for the parties.
Download this form when you sell or buy a firearm so you may document the fact of gun transfer in the state of Montana. This form normally contains information for easy identification of the seller, the buyer, and the sold gun.
This form is used to document information about the sale of various items (e.g., electronics, furniture, livestock, and others). The state of Montana does not possess any official forms you can use in this case, but you are welcome to use our template.
This form is the official state form released by the Motor Vehicle Division of the Montana Department of Justice. It is used to confirm the sale of a vehicle or a boat. It also provides the important details about the car/boat and the terms and conditions of sale.