Appeals regarding disability compensation should be mailed with attached SSA form 3441-BK, Disability Report - Appeal. This form contains information about the medical condition and treatment the claimant receives. This report should be filed without doctors' assistance or use of medical records the SSA does not have access to. If the SSA requires medical records, it will request them. To authorize the SSA to receive medical information, you should attach a completed SSA form 827, Authorization to Disclose Information to the Social Security Administration (SSA). Also, documentation supporting the claim should be attached.
A request for a decision reconsideration can be also filed online via the SSA website. The process is similar, however, the website will require the type of decision appealed. A medical decision appeal is a request for reconsideration of decision regarding Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
The online appeal is time-sensitive. If you do not make any changes on the page, you receive a warning. You will be switched to another page after a third warning or the information will be lost. Online appeals should be made within 60 days from the denial notice.
What Is the Difference Between Form SSA-561 and Form SSA-789?
The SSA-561-U2 is used for most appeals. Form SSA-789, Request for Reconsideration - Disability Cessation Right to Appear is used only in one case: if the SSA has stopped the disability benefits for medical reasons or because the beneficiary is no longer blind. In all other cases, the applicants should use the SSA-561-U2.
You have to provide your reasons for disagreeing with the SSA decision and argument on hand of supporting documentation. You or your representative can appear for disability hearing regarding your appeal. If necessary, you can request an interpreter. The SSA will provide one for free. It is your right to refuse personal presence at the disability hearing.
How to Fill out Form SSA-561-U2?
Step-by-step Form SSA-561-U2 Instructions can be found below:
- Provide your name or the name of the person on whose behalf you claim. Enter your or their social security number and claim number, if it differs from your SSN. The claim number can be found on your SSA form 1099;
- Describe the issue you appeal. Specify the type of your appeal: retirement, disability, hospital or medical, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Special Veterans Benefits (SVB), overpayment, etc. Refer to the notice you received;
- Enter the reasons you disagree with SSA decision on your issue. Provide as much information, as possible;
- If you apply for SSI or SVB, look through the ways to appeal and check the appropriate box. If you choose case review, you have to provide additional information to the SSA and it will make a decision on your case once again. Personal presence, in this case, is not necessary. The informal conference is a meeting with the person making a decision on your case. This option allows providing additional information and assistance of other people at the meeting. A formal conference is similar, but if you choose this option, other people can be forced to come and assist you, even if they do not want to;
- Provide the signature of the claimant. Enter the name of the claimant's representative, if any;
- Provide your contact information: full mailing address, including ZIP code and phone number. Date the form. If there is a representative, provide their mailing address and phone number as well. The representative should also date the form;
- The last block of the form is reserved for SSA, leave it blank.
Form SSA-561-U2 FAQ
Where to Mail Form SSA-561-U2?
The completed form should be mailed to a local standard Social Security office. The address of the office can be found on the SSA website. To find the office address, go to the SSA website, click the "Online services" option and then "Locate an office". Alternatively, the form can be presented in person at alocal office.
Why Are There 2 Copies of Form SSA-561-U2?
The form is provided in two copies, so you can keep a copy and send the original to the SSA. The words "Claims folder" are printed at the bottom of the original. Send this copy to the SSA. The copy you should retain for your records has the word "Claimant" printed at the bottom of the page.
What Is the Most Current Form SSA-561-U2?
The most current version of the form is dated December 2016. Previous editions of this form may be used until exhausted.