Download AF Form 938 Request and Authorization for Active Duty Training/Active Tour
How to Fill out AF Form 938?
AF Form 938 instructions are as follows:
- Blocks 1 -10 are for entering the full name of the service member, their current military grade, social security number, street address, city, state, zip code, unit of assignment, its location, and the Personnel Accounting System (PAS) code;
- The type of tour (annual, special, school or MPA) and the total number of days are entered in Block 11;
- Block 12 is for entering the unit, office symbol, and the location where the Member is ordered to report for duty;
- Block 13 is for entering the expected reporting time and the effective date of the tour;
- Block 14 is for entering the expected release date from this tour of active duty;
- An "X" should be put in Block 15 if the member's duty station and home address (or the place where they were called to active duty from) are within the established corporate limits;
- An "X" should be put in Block 16 if the member's duty station and home address (or the place where they were called to active duty from) are within the established commuting area;
- Block 17 is for entering the Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS) code. One of the following codes is entered. "0" - not on BAS; "B" - separate rations; "H" - rations in-kind not available, and "K" - rations under emergency conditions;
- Remarks, if any, are entered in Block 18;
- Block 19 is for entering an appropriate training category indicator;
- If the purpose of the tour is to attend a school or course of instruction, the course number from AFCAT 36-2223 or other provided documentation should be entered in Block 20;
- If the purpose of the tour is MPA man-day tours the code provided by the activity that authorized the use of MPA man-days, should be entered in Block 21. Block 22 is for entering the man-day ID as provided by the activity that authorized the use of MPA man-days;
- Estimated travel costs are entered in Block 23;
- Total estimated per diem costs are entered in Block 24;
- Other estimated costs are entered in Block 25;
- Total estimated costs are entered in Block 26;
- Block 27 is for entering the cost of travel and per diem costs along with those for pay and allowances for Air Force Reserve members performing tours of active duty to Reserve Personnel Appropriation (RPA),
- Block 28 is for entering a name, grade, and DSN number of the travel requesting official. Their signature and date are put in Blocks 29 and 30;
- Block 31 is for entering the designation and location of headquarters;
- Block 32 is for entering appropriate reserve order prefix and number;
- Block 33 is for entering a date order is authenticated;
- Block 34 is for indicating disposition with a distribution code letter;
- Block 35 is for entering the signature element of the orders authenticating official;
- Block 36 is for entering the tour information. The "DEPART" Block should show the same information as Blocks 5 and 6. The "ARRIVE" Block should show the same information as block 12.
- In Block 37 the service member indicates the following:
- whether the service member's spouse was or was not in Active Duty status during their tour;
- whether the service member did or did not occupy government quarters during their tour.
- Blocks 38 and 39 are for signing and dating the form by the Member;
- Blocks 40-44 should be completed by the certifying official, who ensures the length of tour agrees with the number of days in the order and puts their name, DSN, signature, and date;
Finally, the timekeeper of the federal civil service employees should sign the form. The timekeeper must certify that they received the copy of the order for civilian pay related review and processing.