DD Form 882 Report of Inventions and Subcontracts
What Is DD Form 882?
DD Form 882, Report of Inventions and Subcontracts is a form for providing invention reports to a Contracting Officer and reporting of awarded subcontracts with patent rights clauses. Form DD 882 can be used to report both inventions and subcontracts at the same time or solely for reporting subcontracts with patent rights clauses.
The latest release of the form - sometimes incorrectly referred to as the DA Form 882 - was issued by the Department of Defense (DoD) in July 2005 with all previous editions obsolete.
Interim reports must be given at least every 12 months from the first day the contract was won. Final reports are submitted within six months for small business and domestic non-profit companies and within three months for other organizations.
The most recent DD Form 882 fillable version is available for digital filing and download below or can be found through the Executive Services Directorate website.
How to Fill out DD Form 882?
The three-part form is made has a set of filing guidelines provided on the second page. DD Form 882 instructions are as follows.
- Blocks 1 and 2 require information about the Contractor or Subcontractor and the Government Prime Contractor. This includes their names, addresses, contact numbers, and award dates. The report type and the reporting periods are identified in Blocks 3 and 4.
- Section I describes the subject inventions.
- The name of the inventor (or inventors) is specified in Block 5a;
- The name of their invention is provided in Block 5b and its disclosure number, patent application, serial number or patent number are entered in Block 5c;
- Block 5d is for providing information on the election to file the patent application;
- Block 5e requires specifying whether or not the confirmatory instrument or assignment had been forwarded to the contracting officer;
- Block 5f is for the information about the employers of the inventors not otherwise employed by the Contractor or Subcontractor;
- Block 5g is for specifying the elected foreign countries in which a patent application will be filed.
- Section II pertains to subcontracts with patent rights clauses.
- Block 6 identifies the subcontracts awarded by the Contractor or Subcontractor or the absence of these subcontracts in Block 6a;
- The Subcontractor's address, contract number, patent rights-related clause number, applicable dates and a description of the work to be performed must be provided in Blocks 6b to 6f.
- Section III is for providing the required information about the certification. Small businesses or non-profit organizations may have no certification and should identify themselves in the corresponding boxes. The name of an authorized official along with their title, signature, and date are entered for all other organizations.