Form REG 262, Vehicle / Vessel Transfer and Reassignment

Form REG 262, Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment

What Is a REG 262 Form?

Form REG 262, Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment , is used as an odometer disclosure, a bill of sale, and a power of attorney when selling or transferring a vehicle or vessel. Form REG 260 (Power of Attorney) and Form REG 135 (Bill of Sale) can be used instead of Form REG 262 if an odometer statement is not required.

The REG 262 Form is also used in the following cases:

  • When the title is considered a "noncomplying title";
  • When Form REG 227 (Application for Duplicate or Paperless Title) is required for the application;
  • If the title is found to be unavailable at the time of transfer; or
  • If there is an incorrect or altered odometer reading listed on the complying title or on Form REG 397 (Application for Registration of New Vehicle).

Form REG 262 will list all aspects of the vehicle or vessel in detail (including its odometer reading) to ensure all information is accurate for state records and the vehicle or vessel is legally available for sale or transfer. The form is issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles and was last updated in August 2009 .

Form REG 262 Instructions

It is important to note that alterations or erasing information on Form REG 262 will result in the form being voided. The form cannot be completed by the applicant and must be completed by a third party not directly involved in the sale or transfer of the vehicle. The REG 262 form begins with the vehicle/vessel’s license plate number, vehicle identification number (VIN), the state the plate was issued in, the expiration date of the license plate, and details about the look of the vehicle (make, model, size). The form then asks details about the VIN’s location, who attached it, type, and U.S. Federal Certification Label Status.

The odometer statement will then need to be completed with exact numbers in either miles or kilometers. There is also a section to record the emission label to ensure that it meets the federal and state EPA emissions standards. There is an additional section for the person completing the form to report the vehicle to the California Highway Patrol (CHP) if they feel the sale or transfer is questionable. The final section requires a signature of the individual completing the form certifying that all information listed is correct.

Where Can I Get a REG 262 Form?

The Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form is not available online due to its printing on security paper and this is necessary to make it compliant with federal odometer disclosure regulations. To obtain Form REG 262, visit your local DMV office to pick up a free copy.

Related California DMV Forms: