What Is VA Form 21-526 Series?
The VA 21-526 forms series is a set of four forms used for filing claims for the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) pension or compensation benefits. This series includes:
- VA Form 21-526, Veteran’s Application for Compensation and/or Pension;
- VA Form 21-526B, Veteran's Supplemental Claim for Compensation;
- VA Form 21-526C, Pre-Discharge Compensation Claim;
- VA Form 21-526EZ, Application for Disability Compensation and Related Compensation Benefits.
Application for Veterans’ Compensation
Report an injury or disability as soon as possible to avoid delays in receiving the benefits. A list of all injuries and illnesses for which the disability compensation is requested is a necessary part of the application. Medical records supporting the claim should also be submitted along with the application.
Apply for veterans’ compensation by using one of the services provided:
- To apply by mail, complete the VA Form 21-526 and send it to the local VA office;
- To apply by phone, call 800-827-1000. Call the TDD line at 800-829-4833 for hearing impaired. Outside the United States call 412-395-6272; and
- To apply in person, visit a local VA office.
Application through the Veterans On-line Application (VONAPP) website is no longer available. Applications filed through the VONAPP will still be processed and the VA will contact the applicant for further information.
VA Disability Compensation
VA disability compensation is a monthly tax-free payment to veterans who received a disability as a result of an injury or an illness while being employed in the military service. A veteran or a service member may be qualified for VA disability benefits for physical conditions, such as a chronic illness or injury and mental health conditions, such as PTSD that developed before, during, or after service.
To be considered eligible for the VA disability compensation, you should have a disability rating for service-connected condition and serve on active duty, active duty for training, or inactive duty training. In addition, at least one of the following conditions should apply:
The injury occurred while serving in the military or the condition can be traced to the illness or injury. This is called an in-service disability claim;
- The illness or injury took place before joining the military but worsened during the service. This is called a pre-service disability claim;
- The disability albeit did not appear until after the service is nevertheless related to the active-duty service. This is called a post-service disability claim.
Also, if you have a disability that has been diagnosed by a doctor and it can be linked to your military service because of a specific aspect of that service, you may be eligible for disability benefits based on this presumed disability.
File this form if you are a veteran and your current disability was caused by an injury, or disease, in order to apply for compensation or pension benefits.
This form is used by the service members on active duty to file a pre-discharge claim for the VA benefits in advance.
This is a multi-purpose form used for providing information to the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA). It is used in conjunction with other claim forms.
This form is used for filing a сlaim for veteran's disability compensation or other related benefits under the Fully Developed Claim program (FDC).