How to Fill out DA Form 3685?
An overview of the form and filing guidelines can be found in the Army Regulation 37-104-4, Military Pay and Allowances Policy, released in June 2005. DA Form 3685 instructions are as follows:
- Item 1 of the form requires specifying the desirable frequency of payment, choosing between receiving pay either once or twice a month. The pay dates are usually scheduled for the first and fifteenth of every month unless the day falls on a weekend or a holiday. If this is the case, the payment will be issued on the last working day before the first or fifteenth.
- Item 2 is for electing a preferred method of payment. The two options are to receive payments through SurePay (direct deposit) or by receiving a check to a specified address. All soldiers must elect direct deposit to a financial organization upon starting active duty.
- Item 3 is for stating whether the applicant wants to elect a held pay amount.
- Item 4 is filed only if the Sure Pay option was chosen in Item 2.
- If the applicant has already filed and sent an SF Form 1199a to their financial institution, they only have to check the appropriate box.
- If not, the applicant has to fill and attach a completed SF Form 1199a and complete Boxes 1 through 5. They require the name of the financial organization, a number of the savings account or checking account, the name of the account holder and the full address of the organization.
- If the applicant has chosen the 'Check to Address' option, they have to file Item 5.Item 5 requires specifying the full mailing address in Boxes A through E.
- Any additional remarks should be provided in Item 6.
- Item 7 is for authorization of the payment. This section requires a legibly written name of the applicant (either typed or printed), their SSN, name and address of organization, signature, and date of filing.