AF Form 988 Instructions
The official AF site does not offer any instructions for the form. It is the AF member responsibility to return to their permanent duty station before the expiration date of their leave, or, alternatively, to obtain a leave extension from their supervisor. Before departing on leave, the AF member may complete the DD Form 2258 at the Postal Service Center, so that their mail is directed to the address where they will be staying for the duration of their leave.
How to Fill Out AF Form 988?
The AF 988 Form has three parts, all of which must be completed in order to request the leave and to have it authorized. The form must be typed or completed in ink, in the following way:
- Boxes 1 through 5 are self-explanatory and are to be filled out by the member who is requesting the leave;
- Box 6. Current Leave Balance. The member must have enough leave balance to cover the period of leave that has been requested;
- Box 7. Recommend Convalescent Leave. If the AF member requires a convalescent leave to recover from a medical condition or an injury, this box will be filled out, signed, and stamped by the relevant medical authority;
- Box 8. Type of Leave. Mark the checkbox that applies. For Permissive Temporary Duty (PTDY), state the applicable reason and in "Remarks", provide a brief explanation of its purpose;
- Box 9 is self-explanatory;
- Box 10. Leave Authorization number. The member obtains this number immediately before signing and submitting the form;
- Box 11. First Day/Time of Leave Status. The service member enters the earliest time they can start their leave, that is, depart, or sign up for available transportation;
- Boxes 12 through 21 are self-explanatory;
- Box 22. Leave is. The appropriate checkbox is to be marked and, for PTDY, the approval level required by the Air Force Rules (AFR) 35-26, Permissive Temporary Duty must be entered;
- Boxes 23 to 25 are self-explanatory;
- Boxes 26 through 33 are used by the supervisor or commander when approving an extended leave request.
Once all of this information has been provided on the first page, which is Part I. You must provide the same information on each of the other two pages of the form, which are copies of the form. The second page, or Part II, is the member's copy. The third page, or Part III, of the form, is to be used at the end of your leave. The top section, which requires the same information as the first page, must be filled out and submitted at the time of leave. The form will be returned to the member on leave and they must fill out Part III in order to report on their leave upon return.
AF 988 Related Forms
- DA Form 31, Request and Authority for Leave. This form is mainly used to authorize a military leave, to document the start and the end of such a leave, to record the contact information where a soldier may be reached in case of an emergency during that time, and to certify the number of days that will be charged to a soldier's leave account;
- DD Form 1610, Request and Authorization for TDY Travel of DoD Personnel. This form is mainly used to review, approve, and account for official travel.