Download ATF Form 5320.1 Atf Form 1 - Application to Make and Register a Firearm
ATF Form 1 Instructions
Read through the provided instructions to make sure you properly understand all of the definitions used. Additional step-by-step filing guidelines are provided below.
How to Fill out ATF Form 1?
The form can be filled out through Adobe Acrobat Reader or by opening the form in a new window in your browser. If filing digitally, you will need to fill out only first three pages, and the information you enter will be carried over through the rest of the form automatically. Use the following instructions to complete the form:
- Box 1. Type of Application. Check box "a". Submit your $200 tax payment with the application;
- Box 2. Specify whether you are filling out the form as an individual or as a trust;
- Box 3a. Trade Name. This box is usually left blank;
- Box 3b. Applicant's Name and Mailing Address. If you are filling out the form as a trust, provide its name exactly as it is indicated on the Trust Shop NFA Gun Trust. Enter the address where the firearm will be kept. If completing the form as an individual, specify your full name and mailing address;
- Boxes 3c - 3f. Self-explanatory;
- Box 4a. Name and Address of Original Manufacturer and/or Importer of Firearm. If you make a firearm from scratch, enter your name and address exactly as they will be engraved on the firearm. The name and address in this part may differ from those provided in Box 3b. Find the engraving rules on the ATF website. If you are modifying an already manufactured firearm, enter the name and address of the original manufacturer;
- Box 4b. Type of Firearm to Be Made. Use the definition 1c provided in the enclosed instructions to complete this part;
- Box 4c. Caliber or Gauge. Enter the caliber of the firearm you are going to make. Do not use slang terms. List only one caliber. For additional calibers, attach a letter stating the overall length, barrel length, and caliber related to the firearm specified on the form;
- Boxes 4c - 4g. Self-explanatory;
- Box 4h. Additional Description. Include any other markings or numbers provided on the item. If there are none, leave this part blank;
- Box 4i. Specify Why You Intend to Make a Firearm. Enter the phrase "Any lawful purpose", unless your state has any other requirements;
- Box 4j. Type of Destructive Device. Specify the type of device you are going to make.
- Box 4k. Reactivated. Check "No", unless you restore an already registered but unserviceable firearm;
- Boxes 5 - 6. If you are filling out ATF Form 1 as a trust, leave these boxes blank. If you are applying as an individual and have a Special Occupational Taxpayer or Federal Firearm License numbers, provide them in these boxes;
- Boxes 7 - 9. Self-explanatory;
- Box 10. Law Enforcement Notification. Provide the name of the agency, responsible official, and the address where you have sent a Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) notification;
- Boxes 11 - 14. If you are applying as a trust, ignore these boxes. If you are filling out the form as an individual, answer all the questions and attach your most recent passport photo;
- Boxes 15 - 16. If you are completing the document as an individual, skip these boxes. A gun trust is required to provide the number of responsible persons and can list up to 8 of them. If the gun trust includes more than 8 persons, list the rest of them on a separate sheet and attach it to the form;
- Box 17. Method of Payment. Provide your payment method information. It is not important for the ATF who pays for the tax stamp.
Where to Mail ATF Form 1?
Submit the ATF and registrant's copies of a completed and signed application to make and register a firearm to the National Firearms Act (NFA) Division. The ATF Form 1 mailing address is specified on the front of the form. Submit the CLEO copy to the chief local law enforcement officer, e.g., head of the state police, chief of police, sheriff, state or local district attorney, or prosecutor. The usual wait time is around 6 or 7 months.
After the AFT processes your form, you receive your copy approved or disapproved. If your application is disapproved, the NFA will provide you with the reason for disapproval and refund the taxes you paid. Remember that you are not allowed to start making firearms until you get your approval. To check the status of your application, contact the NFA Division via phone or email. The ATF Form 1 status phone number is (304) 616-4500.