How to Sell a Vehicle in Louisiana?
Selling a car in Louisiana does not require a lot of documentation. In order to complete the process without getting into trouble with the state authorities, do follow these tips:
- Make sure there are no liens on the vehicle you sell. If any unreleased liens are shown on the front of the Title, you need to obtain the original release document from the holder of this lien before you can sell the car;
- Fill out all fields necessary to assign the Title on the back part of it. Note, that Louisiana laws require you to assign the Title in front of a notary public. The State does not accept Titles without proper notarization. When filling out the document, use only blue or black ink. Remember that you are not allowed to cross out or erase anything, nor are you allowed to use "white-out". Any error can void the Title;
- Fill out a bill of sale for the car;
- Do not forget that the car license plate is not transferable and you need to remove it before you sell your vehicle. Surrender the license plate to a local Office of Motor Vehicles before you cancel your car insurance;
- You can notify the Office of Motor Vehicles of the car sale by submitting the Notice of Vehicle Transfer. The Notice can be submitted in the electronic form at the Louisiana Department of Public Safety & Corrections only;
- Keep copies of the front and back part of the title, your copy of the bill of sale, and other documents related to the sale for your records.
For the Vehicle Bill of Sale in Louisiana to be legally accepted by any government agency, it must contain the following information:
- Name of the parish where the deal takes place;
- Name of the seller;
- Name of the buyer;
- Information about the transferred vehicle: the make, model, year, and vehicle identification number;
- The sales price of the car;
- Date of sale;
- Date the document was signed;
- Signatures of both parties;
- Notary public's certification.
The Vehicle Bill of Sale is not considered legal without the notary public's certification.