How to Fill Out a DD Form 368?
DD Form 368 instructions are included within the form itself. A step-by-step overview of all four sections can be found below:
- Section I is completed by both the recruiter and the applicant. Box 1 provides the applicant's name, pay grade, Social Security Number or Electronic Data Interchange Personal Identifier, current component, and the address of the current unit.
- Box 2 provides the recruiter's office address. Box 3 is for entering the name of the gaining and losing components, the service members signature and date of signing and includes a section with the recruiter's request for conditional release. The recruiter then forwards the form to the unit commander or designated representative of the applicant.
- Section II is completed by the applicant's unit commander or other authorized representative within 30 days of receiving the form.
- Box 5 states whether the individual is recommended and conditional release is granted or if they are disapproved. If the release is not granted, the reason for disapproval must be explained in Section IV, Remarks.
- The authorizing official must then provide their name, title contact information, address and signature in Box 6.
- Section III is completed by the enlisting or appointing official within 10 days of enlistment or appointment. Box 7 is used to indicate the service to which the applicant was appointed. Box 8 is completed by individual certifying the enlistment. The certifying official must ensure that a copy of the completed DD Form 368 and a copy of the oath are mailed to the address provided in Box 6.
- Section IV, Remarks is used when necessary to provide additional information.
Read the instructions carefully and then fill out the form completely, providing all the required information on your current military obligations and the military branch you wish to transfer to.
DD 368 Form FAQ
How Do I Get My DD Form 368?
The DD 368 can be downloaded by clicking the blue link below the form. Hard copies can be printed manually or obtained from your commanding officer.
Who Has to Sign a DD Form 368?
The first general level officer in your chain of command must sign this form. Bring the completed form to your commanding officer for their signature, and provide them with a full explanation of your reasons for transfer before they sign.
Afterward, the form has to be signed by the Active Duty recruiter from your new military branch. Recruiters have the right to approve voluntary requests for transfers only in case of having a written approval by a commanding officer.
Take the form signed by the recruiter back to your commanding officer for further progress. You will then have to wait for the approval or denial of your application.
How Long Should a DD 368 Form Take in the Marines?
Generally, it would take approximately 3 to 5 months, depending on the command. DD Form 368 expiration date is six months from the date of approval, so the applicant's plans should be aligned within the given time period.
In some cases, an additional three months may be granted i f an extension is required.