How To Fill out DA Form 4591?
Procedural guidelines and additional information can be found in the Army Regulation 601-280, released in April 2016. DA Form 4591 instructions are as follows:
- The company retention non-commissioned officer (NCO) will prepare initial copies of the DA Form 4591 for all Soldiers except for those serving on indefinite reenlistment contracts during inprocessing.
- All entries must be made in pencil, in pen, or entered digitally. A Soldier's Enlisted Record Brief (ERB) needs to be attached to the DA Form 4591. Information redundant to the information provided on an ERB is not required to be recorded. The entries on both forms need to be verified by the servicing career counselor.
- Other required additions to the form include records of all reservation attempts, cancellations and validations, and all records regarding processing. If the Soldier decides to reenlist or continue service, the full set of forms is filed with the DD Form 4 (Enlistment/Reenlistment Document - Armed Forces of the United States) or the DA Form 1695 (Oath of Extension of Enlistment).
- If the Soldier decides to separate from the Regular Army, a copy of the DA Form 4591 will be provided to the servicing RC career counselor.
DA 4591 Related Forms
- DA Form 4591-1, Status of the Retention Data Worksheets is a form that summarizes the assigned strength of a single unit and provides the statuses of all individual DD 4591 forms used by the soldiers of that unit.
- DA Form 4591-2, Record of Inspections Conducted is a form used for recording all inspections and Staff Assistance Visit (SAV) evaluations of the commander's Army Retention Program.