DA Form 3340 Request for Continued Service in the Regular Army
What Is DA Form 3340?
DA Form 3340, Request For Continued Service in the Regular Army is a form used for requesting an extension of current enlistment or a reenlistment in the Regular Army (RA). The document should be completed and approved prior to the initiation of continued service.
The latest version of the form – sometimes incorrectly referred to as the DD Form 3340 – was released by the Department of the Army in June 2018 with all previous editions obsolete. An up-to-date DA Form 3340 fillable version is available for download and digital filing below or can be found through the Army Publishing Directorate website.
The purpose of the document is to make a formal request to continue service and to determine the eligibility of that request. The information provided in the form will be included in the subject’s military personnel records. Data disclosure is voluntary, but failure to specify requested details may result in denial of extension or reenlistment in the U.S. Army.
Download DA Form 3340 Request for Continued Service in the Regular Army
DA Form 3340 Instructions
Additional guidelines and information on the DA Form 3340 can be found in the Army Regulation 601–280, Army Retention Program, released in April 2016. DA Form 3340 instructions are as follows:
- The request is addressed from the Soldier to their immediate commander. This information must be indicated in Items 1 and 2 of the form.
- Item 3 is intended for requesting authorization by ticking the appropriate box.
- Item 4 contains a list of accrued leave options. If the Soldier chooses to cash-in accrued leave, the appropriate amount of days should be entered in Item 4b.
- Item 4c should be selected if an extension of enlistment was selected in the previous block.
- Items 5 and 6 are for the Soldier’s signature and date respectively. After being signed, the DA Form 3340 must be submitted to the immediate commander, who will determine whether the Soldier meets the basic eligibility criteria for continued Active Army service.
- Item 7 is intended for the determination of the Soldier’s eligibility for further service.
- The determination for further service should be marked in Item 8. It consists of several checkboxes. If the Soldier is fully qualified, that will be reflected in Item 8a. The commander may recommend approval by request if the soldier has a disqualification but the case warrants meritorious consideration by checking Item 8b.
- In this case, the DA 3340 must be forwarded along with the DA Form 3072, Waiver of Disqualification for Enlistment/Promotion in Regular Army. A mark in Item 8c means that the Soldier’s request was disapproved.
- Item 8d is completed if the commander considers the Soldier’s continued service to not be in the best interest of the Army.
- The whole section must be certified with the name, rank, branch, and signature of the commander in Items 9 and 10 respectively. The date of filing is specified in Item 11.
If the Soldier is fully eligible, the DA 3340 is forwarded through the chain of command to the final authority. The approved document will remain valid until the requested action is taken.