DA Form 1970 House Staff Evaluation Report
What Is DA Form 1970?
DA Form 1970, House Staff Evaluation Report is a non-mandatory evaluating document associated with the process of evaluating a trainee’s progression and performance required for each Graduate Medical Education (GME) program participant.
The latest version of the form - sometimes confused with DD Form 1970, Motor Equipment Utilization Record - was released by the Department of the Army in May 2009 with all previous editions being obsolete. An up-to-date fillable DA Form 1970 is available for download down below or can be found on the Army Publishing Directorate website.
DA Form 1970 Instructions
The form itself consists of three parts. Filing procedures for the DA Form 1970 are as follows:
- Those filing must start with filling out credentials like the name, grade, intern status (rotating or straight) and specialty of the participant along with the name of the hospital and the period of service covered by the report.
- Part I of the DA 1970 covers clinical performance and contains Blocks A through F. Each Block contains a scale from 1 to 4, from lowest to highest levels of performance.
- Section A describes the level of general medical knowledge.
- Section B is for describing the state of medical history.
- Section C specifies the way the physical examination is performed.
- Section D evaluates Diagnostic acumen.
- Section E describes how therapy is planned, implemented and evaluated.
- Section F refers to the way medical records are kept.
- Part II - Assuming Responsibilities - contains seven more sections.
- Section G assesses how well administrative obligations are fulfilled.
- Section H shows the level of interest in pursuing further medical education.
- Section I of the DA Form 1970 evaluates the participant's ability to establish an effective physician-patient relationship.
- Part III is the Personal Qualities Assessment and covers Sections J through M.
- Section J evaluates the attitude and appearance, whether they are appropriate or not.
- Section K assesses the effectiveness of cooperation.
- Section L is for evaluating the levels of leadership and responsibility skills.
- Section M is for stating the accuracy of self-evaluation and how successful the use of consultants is.
- Part IV of the form calls for an overall evaluation. This part requires counseling with House Officers by the Rater. The block consists of a seven-level scale from an unsatisfactory performance that fails to meet the standards of acceptance to an outstanding level of excellence.
- Part V contains recommendations for additional training in case any is needed.
- Part VI contains free block for the narrative description of performance and personal qualities.
The DA 1970 is to be verified by signatures of Service Chief, Director of Medical Education and approved by hospital or facility commander.