What Is a Farewell Letter?
A Farewell Letter is a document that can be used when an individual wants to express goodwill when saying farewell. The purpose of the letter is to thank people that you are separating from and to let them know how to reach you if they wish to do so in the future. Looking for a printable Farewell Letter template? Download one through the links below.
- Goodbye Letter.
A Goodbye Letter is an easy way to show people appreciation and provide contact details in case they would like to get in touch. With this letter, the individual can express the respect they have for their former business partners, coworkers, or other people they are parting from, and thank them for everything they have done for the individual.
Farewell Letter Types
A Farewell Letter can be used in various situations. The most commonly used types include the following:
- Farewell Letter to Colleagues. Individuals can use this letter when they are quitting their job and would like to say goodbye to their colleagues. The purpose of the letter is to show gratitude to coworkers for all of the support they have provided.
- Business Closing Letter. This type of document is supposed to be used when a business owner would like to inform clients and suppliers about the closing of their business. Here, they can thank their customers for being loyal, or thank their suppliers for collaborating with them, and inform them where they can direct their questions.
- Romantic Goodbye Letter. This letter can be applicable to situations when an individual is going through a breakup or separating from their loved ones and would like to express their feelings through the letter.
- Goodbye Letter to Alcohol. If an individual is going through a process of giving up alcohol consumption, they can use this letter as a meaningful gesture. This letter can be viewed as the beginning of a new life without alcohol.
How to Write a Goodbye Letter?
The content of the letter will depend on the situation it will be used, however, a goodbye letter template can contain several parts, which include the following:
- Introduction. The sender should start the letter by stating the addressee. They can designate their name, which can be followed by a small announcement. Here, the sender can notify the addressee about the upcoming parting (business closing, dismissal from work, etc.) and that they would like to say thank you for everything they helped with.
- Expression of Gratitude. In this part of the document, the sender can indicate why they would like to thank the addressee. They can state whether the addressee has supported them or has helped them in a complicated situation, and illustrate depicted statements with stories that can serve as examples.
- Future Plans. Here the sender can tell the addressee about the plans they made for the upcoming future. For example, if it is a Farewell Letter to Coworkers, then the sender can say if they plan to change their field of work, where they will be working next, or whether they plan to move or stay.
- Contact Details. If the sender would like to keep in touch with the addressee then they can include their contact information in the letter. Generally, contact details can include their postal address, telephone number, and email.
- Conclusion. At the end of the letter, the sender can once again express their appreciation of the addressee and their assistance. The document should be finished with a hand-written signature, it will make the letter more sincere and add a personal touch.
Related Letter Tags and Templates:
A business owner may prepare a letter such as this to notify their clients about the dissolution or termination of their business.
A business owner may prepare and mail this type of letter to their customers in order to inform them about the closure of the company.
A Business Closing Letter is a document that informs customers, clients, and other entities that a company is about to close.
This Goodbye Letter is from an alcoholic to alcohol itself and explains why alcohol is no longer welcome in their life and what they are doing about it.
When you're leaving your current job for another opportunity and after you've given formal notice, you may want to send a Farewell Letter to your colleagues.