Security Deposit Refund Letter Template
Fill PDF Online
Fill out online for free
without registration or credit card
What Is a Security Deposit Refund Letter?
A Security Deposit Refund Letter is a document given at the expiry of the renting period upon the tenant's request. The letter might be written by the tenant (as a request) or by the landlord (as confirmation or denial). The letter indicates the size of the tenant's security deposit that is being refunded. In case the letter is written by the landlord it might itemize the funds aimed at covering damages if there are any.
- Security Deposit Return Letter;
- Security Deposit Demand Letter.
A Security Deposit Refund Letter template can be downloaded below.
How to Write a Security Deposit Refund Letter?
A Denial of Security Deposit Refund Letter is common in cases when the tenant broke or violated the terms of their rental agreement. Other reasons may include:
- Damages - usually the types of damages are at the discretion of the landlord and they might be pointed at in the agreement.
- Non-payment - if the tenant leaves a rental unit without paying rent, the landlord has a right to keep the entire security deposit or part of it to cover the debt.
- Utilities - if utilities are not included in the rent and were not paid by the tenant, the landlord has a right to keep the whole security deposit or part of it to cover the bills.
The letter should consist of the following sections:
- Heading. Contact information of the person (tenant or landlord) on whose behalf the request is made: name, address, city, postcode, phone number, email address
- Date of the request.
- Contact information of the person to whom the request is made (landlord or tenant). Their name, address, city, postcode, phone number, and email address should all be included.
- The subject matter of the letter. The security deposit refund letter might be written in free-form or a template may be used. It is necessary to indicate the date of the original lease, the location of the rental unit, the size of the security deposit, and the date of moving out. It is also necessary to indicate whether the keys were returned and whether rents and bills were paid. In case the security deposit refund is not returned in its full amount then the landlord has to point out all of the deductions. It is advisable to include copies of cleaning and repayment receipts.
- The tenant's request to pay the amount and the cut-off date for the landlord to refund the deposit.
- The signature of the person making the request.
Still looking for a particular template? Take a look at the related templates below:
Download Security Deposit Refund Letter Template