Sample Request for Recommendation Letter
Fill PDF Online
Fill out online for free
without registration or credit card
What Is a Request for Recommendation Letter?
A Request for Recommendation Letter is a typed or handwritten document completed by the individual who needs a recommendation for their future enrollment or employment and sent to the person who can attest to their skills and abilities.
- Reference Request Letter.
Whether you plan to receive higher education in the college of your dreams or you need to confirm your work experience when applying for a new job, a proper recommendation is an invaluable tool that shows you have made a great impression on your former and current teachers, mentors, colleagues, employers, etc. You can download a Request for Letter of Recommendation template and sample through the links below.
How to Write a Request for a Letter of Recommendation?
Follow these steps to compose a request for a Letter of Recommendation:
- Greet the recipient of the letter and indicate the purpose of writing.
- Ask them for the recommendation and describe which institution or organization demands it. You can forward the prospective writer a copy of the letter that asked for a recommendation if you have it. Describe what their recommendation means to you and why did you decide to ask them for a reference. State your plans to emphasize the importance of a proper recommendation.
- There is no need to send the recipient multiple documents that describe your achievements - what if they refuse to assist you? However, you can provide them with your resume to outline your experience and education.
- Thank the writer in advance for their time and offer to contact you by telephone or email as soon as they can.
Once the intended writer has given their consent to compose a letter, you can send them a list of your accomplishments and documents that prove your qualifications and experience to make a recommendation convincing.
How to Request a Letter of Recommendation?
Here are some tips for you if you plan to draft and send a Request for a Letter of Recommendation:
- Do not wait too long - you will put pressure on another person if you message them a day before you need a recommendation. It is a good idea to give the letter writer several weeks to prepare a recommendation.
- Choose the right individual - the best option is to contact your teacher or colleague with whom you have worked closely and who, in your opinion, will be able to say positive things about you.
- If you cannot meet the potential writer in person, you should call them or email the Request for a Letter of Recommendation. This may be even better since you will not waste any time and can attach supplemental documentation the writer must refer in their letter. Also, you can mail several people at once.
- Provide the letter writer with all details they need to include in the recommendation you have not mentioned yet - skills you possess, projects you have worked on - so that they show they know about your accomplishments.
- Stay in contact with the writer and answer their questions if they have any issues.
- If you want to read the letter before it is sent to your potential employer or university, ask the writer to mail the document to you. In case you are sure the recommendation will work in its original form, without any modifications, you may tell the writer to send it to the individual or committee that accepts recommendations and referrals.
- When the recommendation is completed and sent, compose a thank-you note to the person who took the time to help you.
Take a look at the related tags below:
Download Sample Request for Recommendation Letter