What Is a Donation Letter?
A Donation Letter is a type of document that can be used by charity organizations and is related to different forms of fundraising. The purpose of the letter is to solve different matters concerning future contributions and contributions that have been made, as well as establish a connection between a charity organization and donors (or prospective donors).
- Charity Letter.
The Donation Letter format is usually very flexible and can be changed depending on what goal the sender is trying to reach with it. Whether the sender would like to thank a donor for their contribution, or whether they are looking for more donations for their project - it all can be achieved with a well-written Donation Letter.
Check out our library below to download Donation Letter templates and samples.
Types of Donation Letters
There are several types of Donation Letters, the most popular ones are described below.
- Donation Request Letter. This type of Donation Letter is the most common one. It is used to request a donation from a business or an individual for reasons stated in the letter. It can also be used by a nonprofit organization that is holding a fundraising event.
- Church Donation Letter. These are sent by a church to their supporters in which they ask for contributions. The letter is a part of the church initiative which helps them to reach the community.
- Donation Receipt Letter. The document is completed by a charitable organization and is supposed to prove the fact that the donor has made a contribution, as well as gives a description of the contribution. The Internal Revenue Service has developed a list of requirements that the document must follow.
- School Fundraising Letter to Local Businesses. This letter can be used by schools in order to raise money for different purposes. It can also be used to request contributions of school supplies, such as writing utensils, notebooks, and other things that the school can use.
- Donor Thank You Letter. Nonprofit organizations can use this letter to express their gratitude to the donor who has made a contribution. It helps to show appreciation and motivate the donor for future contributions.
- Solicitation Letter. This type of document can be used in multiple situations. With this letter, a sender can request businesses and individuals to make donations for certain purposes, sponsor or attend certain events, or offer their services in exchange for payment.
How to Write a Donation Letter?
The content of the document depends on which goal the nonprofit organization wants to acquire. Nevertheless, your Donation Letter template should cover at least the following:
- Information about the donor. The document should start with addressing the donor. Stating their name will help to build a connection with the donor and make them feel that the sender knows who they are addressing.
- Information about the nonprofit organization. The sender should indicate the name and location of the nonprofit organization they are presenting. They can also indicate the goals the organization is pursuing and describe the main directions of the development.
- A description of the contribution. Senders can use this part of the letter to describe the donation they would like to receive and its purpose. Here they can designate whether they need cash or noncash donation, its amount, and how it can be donated. If the donor has already made a contribution, then the document should state its main characteristics;.
- Contact details. In case the receiver of the document will have any question related to it, the sender can include their contact details in the letter, such as their telephone number and email address.
- Conclusion. Depending on the purpose of the letter, the sender can either thank the donor for the contribution they have made or express their hope to receive a donation for the cause they have mentioned in the letter.
Related Letter Tags and Templates:
This letter can be used by a church to ask for contributions and to encourage a connection between the church and its followers.
This is a type of letter that can be used when nonprofit organizations would like to request charitable donations from individuals and businesses.
Fill out this printable template in order to request funding from its recipient.
Looking to encourage local businesses or alumni to support your school? Complete this template to use when asking for charitable donations.
This sample acts as a reference for a document prepared by a non-profit organization to acknowledge the contribution of a donor to let the latter claim a sum of money as a tax deduction when they file their annual tax return.
The purpose of this document is to notify donors that a charitable organization is in need of a certain service or good, and it will be thankful for a contribution that may be provided.