A Cover Letter is a formal statement composed by the job applicant and attached to their resume to showcase their main qualifications and increase their chances to be invited for an interview. A personalized document can provide some context to the job application, explain employment gaps, and confirm the individual's enthusiasm for the job.
Whether you are specifically asked for a Cover Letter in the description of the vacancy or not, consider enclosing this document with the resume to help the recruiter see what you can bring to the company you want to work for.
Examples of How to Write a Cover Letter
If you're looking for inspiration for making your very own letter, you can browse the various Cover Letter examples available through the links below:
- Administrative Assistant Cover Letter.
- Customer Service Call Center Cover Letter.
- Internal Auditor Cover Letter.
- Medical Receptionist Cover Letter.
- QA Tester Cover Letter.
- UX Designer Cover Letter.
- Business Analyst Cover Letter.
- Data Analyst Cover Letter.
- IT Specialist Cover Letter.
- Nurse Practitioner Cover Letter.
- School Counselor Cover Letter.
- Veterinary Technician Cover Letter.
- Caregiver Cover Letter.
- Dental Assistant Cover Letter.
- Mechanic Cover Letter.
- Paralegal Cover Letter.
- Security Guard Cover Letter.
- Warehouse Worker Cover Letter.
- Community College Teacher Cover Letter.
- Graduate School Cover Letter.
- Medical Assistant Cover Letter (with experience and without experience).
- Pharmacy Technician Cover Letter.
- Software Developer Cover Letter.
- Web Designer Cover Letter.
- Cover Letter for Homemaker Returning to Work.
- Graphic Designer Cover Letter.
- Medical Billing Cover Letter.
- Product Manager Cover Letter.
- Special Education Cover Letter.
- Web Developer Cover Letter.
What Is the Purpose of a Cover Letter?
Use one of the Cover Letter examples we provide for the following reasons:
- Introduce yourself to the employer. This is the first document the human resources department will see scanning through the documentation you have submitted - make sure you write down your full name and contact information on top of the first page to let the reader see them and call you back for an interview.
- Fill in the gaps in your resume. While you will have an opportunity to list all your former employers in the other documents in your job application package, a Cover Letter sample will help you to stay intentional and proactive about the time you spent out of work which is especially significant if this is your first attempt to obtain employment after a long time.
- Emphasize your main professional accomplishments. Cover Letter samples usually do not exceed one page, and to capture the attention of the hiring manager you need to highlight your past success and qualifications that help you stand out among other candidates.
What to Include in a Cover Letter?
Follow these steps to complete the Cover Letter example and summarize your professional experience and education:
- Greet the employer and refer to the job vacancy in question. You should customize your resume Cover Letter to suit the particulars of every job advertisement you reply to. Note that when you submit an online job application, the general Cover Letter sample should be the first file you attach to the email.
- Focus on one or two of the jobs you have had and describe your main duties. Do not forget to add how your efforts have improved the company - whether you have increased the revenue, signed deals with new clients, or handled emergency situations that threatened the survival of the business.
- Describe your education - add the name of the college or university you have attended and the degree you have earned. Even if your academic accomplishments have no relation to your professional path, this section of the Cover Letter template will show the recruiter you are diligent and patient.
- List the skills and qualifications that will allow you to carry out your work obligations flawlessly. You need to showcase both hard and soft skills - the first category refers to technical abilities you have mastered to perform tasks and complete a job, while the second category demonstrates how you approach your work and communicate with others.
Not what you were looking for? Check out these related topics:
This is a sample document that individuals can use as a reference if they would like to apply for a job as an Internal Auditor.
This is a written statement attached to a resume and a job application of a person who wishes to demonstrate their interest in an open position at a community college and work there as a teacher.
This is a formal document attached to a resume and job application to provide an overview of the job candidate's experience and caregiver skills and convince the person in charge of hiring to offer them the position in question.
This is a supplementary document attached to a job application by an individual who has not worked for a significant period of time being busy with managing a household yet wants to continue their professional career.
This type of letter acts as a reference to help you detail your strengths and accomplishments from past Dental Assistant roles to help you craft your own personal cover letter.
A job candidate may use this sample as a reference to introduce themselves to an employer and get a job designing, building, and improving websites applying their creative skills.
This is a formal document that can be used as a reference by a job candidate who wants to interact with clients via phone calls or online, and support them before or after they purchase products and services of a business.
An individual may use this type of letter as a reference to showcase their work experience and qualifications and obtain the advertised position of a pharmacy technician.
A job candidate may use this letter as a reference to provide a prospective employer with an insight into the applicant's professional life and qualifications that will allow the latter to record medical procedures and process insurance documentation.
This document acts as a reference when a job candidate would like to use a cover letter when applying for the position of a Business Analyst.
Individuals may use this type of document as a reference when they need to construct a cover letter in order to apply for a position of a Special Education teacher.
This is a supplementary document filled out and attached to a Resume by a job candidate who wants to obtain employment and work watching over property to prevent any misconduct.
Individuals may use this document as a reference when they want to obtain an entry level healthcare position as a medical assistant
A job candidate may use this sample letter as a reference with the objective to obtain a job receiving stock and dispatching shipments as a Warehouse Worker.
This is a supplementary statement a job candidate should attach to their job application to give the hiring manager an insight into their career and filling the possible gaps in their resume when applying for the job of a vet tech.
A QA Tester job candidate may attach this document to their resume to provide an insight into their professional life and gain employment carrying out quality assurance duties.
Individuals may use this sample cover letter when they would like to apply for an IT job.
Job applicants can use this sample as a reference to provide an employer with an overview of their accomplishments to date and explain their interest in a data analyst job vacancy.
This is a personalized reference of a job candidate's qualifications, education, and work experience that introduces them to an employer and demonstrates enthusiasm for a career in web development.
A Software Developer may use this supplementary document as a reference to let an employer know them better, summarize their professional experiences, and gain employment in software development.
This is a sample cover letter used as a reference for the main highlights of a job candidate's professional life and to help increase their chances of finding a job as a paralegal.
This is the document for you if your professional goal is to be responsible for the smooth and productive day-to-day activities of an office and need a cover letter to apply for the position.
This type of sample cover letter can be used as a reference by a person who wants to work at the front desk of a medical facility.
A Medical Assistant may use this supplementary document enclosed with a job application and a resume to outline their credentials and highlight their interest in a Medical Assistant advertised position.
This is a supplementary statement composed to briefly describe the skills and accomplishments of an aspiring employee, and persuade the hiring manager this graphic designer is suitable for the position they are applying for.
Individuals looking to apply for a UX designer position may use this sample cover letter as a reference.
Individuals can use this type of document when they would like to apply for an open position as a product manager.
Use this letter when planning to apply for a graduate school program: you can use this sample as a reference.
This is a document that you can use if you would like to apply for a job as a school counselor.
This is a document that individuals can use when they would like to apply for the vacant position of a nurse practitioner.