What Is a Job Application?
A Job Application is a standardized form completed by individuals who want to apply for a position within a company. As one of the crucial steps in the recruitment process (see our Recruitment Process Flowchart for more information), it allows the future employer to find out basic information about the job candidate and verify the accuracy of the details the applicant shared in the document, such as academic attainments and previous employment.
An effective application will describe your skills and experience to make you an appealing candidate for a job. It can also highlight your personal characteristics if you put a focus on your ambitions and plans and show how they fall in line with the goals of the company so that your chances to get a call for a personal interview are maximized.
If you are searching for a Job Application, you can download our printable template and tailor it according to your specific needs.
How to Fill Out a Job Application?
Here is how you properly complete a Job Application:
- Indicate your personal information – full name, mailing address, phone number, and email address.
- Describe your education - list schools, colleges, universities, and training programs you have attended. Specify the degrees, certificates, and diplomas you have received and write down the dates of graduation.
- Provide your employment history - names and contact details of your former employers and names of your direct supervisors. Name your previous job titles, dates of employment, and reasons for leaving. You can also add your salary details.
- Include references - names and contact information of people who can attest to your qualifications. You can also submit a Letter of Recommendation along with an application.
- Name the position you are interested in and briefly describe why you are suitable for this job.
- Sign the application and invite the recipient to contact you once the application is reviewed.
Visit the company website or call them to find out whether there are specific instructions for a Job Application template. Often, paper applications are not accepted, and you have to fill out an application online. You might need to prepare a separate Resume Template – a unique document that lists your academic and professional achievements. Additionally, you may be asked to sign an Authorization to Release Employee Information – you disclose confidential details about your work experience which requires your consent to the release of employment-related information – dates of employment, description of job duties, etc.
How to Write a Cover Letter for a Job Application?
A Job Application Cover Letter is a short statement that introduces your Job Application and lists your contact details for the recipient. Follow these steps to compose a Cover Letter:
- State your name and contact details. There is no need to record your physical or mailing addresses, but you must indicate your telephone number and email. If you prefer to connect via phone, you can also remark that you take calls during a certain time of day.
- Enter the name of the recipient and their title within the company. If you do not know to whom you must mail the documentation, contact the company to find out this information.
- Refer to the position you are applying for. Explain under which circumstances you have discovered an open vacancy.
- Ask the letter recipient to contact you as soon as they can in order to set the time for a personal interview. Thank the manager for their time and sign the letter.
How to Follow Up on a Job Application?
Follow up on a Job Application within a few days after you submit your documents. It will help to boost up your chances to get a quick response from a potential employer. It is possible to call the human resources department of the company or the individual to whom you have sent your Job Application. However, the best way to follow up is to send an email – especially, if you do not know the best time to call the hiring manager.
You can compose a Job Application follow up email and send it directly to the hiring manager. Add a title – for instance, “follow up on a job application + title of the position”. Confirm that you are still interested in the job and remind the recipient why you would be the best choice for this position. Keep the letter concise and polite, avoid negativity, do not ask for an immediate answer, but offer to keep in contact.
How Long Does it Take to Hear Back From a Job Application?
The hiring process usually takes one or two weeks. However, certain companies can look for certain employees quickly – depends on what is happening with the business and how urgent an open vacancy is. In any case, it is risky to wait for just one employer after you send one application. While you are waiting for a response from a particular business, do not stop searching for a job – keep applying for other positions to increase the number of options for employment.
Related Topics and Tags:
This document is used to describe the skills and experience of a potential employee in order to make them an appealing candidate for a job.
Complete this form to allow your former employer to release your employment information to a new prospective employer.
This is a document used as a way for an organization to set out how they will hire their next intern, temp worker, or permanent worker.
Individuals may use this document when they would like to apply for a job and they need to demonstrate their major accomplishments.
This is a document that a candidate should attach to their job application to detail information about themselves to a potential employer.
An experienced or aspiring mechanic may use this type of cover letter to introduce themselves to a prospective employer and offer the latter a chance to learn about the accomplishments and qualifications of the job candidate.
This is a document that individuals can use when they would like to apply for the vacant position of a nurse practitioner.
This is a document that you can use if you would like to apply for a job as a school counselor.
Use this letter when planning to apply for a graduate school program: you can use this sample as a reference.
Individuals can use this type of document when they would like to apply for an open position as a product manager.
Individuals looking to apply for a UX designer position may use this sample cover letter as a reference.
This is a supplementary statement composed to briefly describe the skills and accomplishments of an aspiring employee, and persuade the hiring manager this graphic designer is suitable for the position they are applying for.
A Medical Assistant may use this supplementary document enclosed with a job application and a resume to outline their credentials and highlight their interest in a Medical Assistant advertised position.
This type of sample cover letter can be used as a reference by a person who wants to work at the front desk of a medical facility.
This is the document for you if your professional goal is to be responsible for the smooth and productive day-to-day activities of an office and need a cover letter to apply for the position.
This is a sample cover letter used as a reference for the main highlights of a job candidate's professional life and to help increase their chances of finding a job as a paralegal.
A Software Developer may use this supplementary document as a reference to let an employer know them better, summarize their professional experiences, and gain employment in software development.
This is a personalized reference of a job candidate's qualifications, education, and work experience that introduces them to an employer and demonstrates enthusiasm for a career in web development.
Job applicants can use this sample as a reference to provide an employer with an overview of their accomplishments to date and explain their interest in a data analyst job vacancy.
Individuals may use this sample cover letter when they would like to apply for an IT job.