What Is an Authorization Letter?
An Authorization Letter is a formal document given to the recipient who will perform a specific action on behalf of the person or entity authorizing them. Widely used in the world of business and by individuals who need to entrust their relatives, friends, and acquaintances with tasks and responsibilities they cannot carry out due to various issues, this statement shows any interested party the authorized party acts with the approval of the individual who signed the letter. For more Authorization Letter templates and samples you may check out our library below.
Authorization Letter Types
These templates may be completed to grant permission to an individual you personally know and trust or an entity that represents your interests to take care of any issue while you are unable to do so. Each Letter of Authorization template can be customized to suit the needs of your particular situation, so simply choose a document required by the circumstances and write down the information you consider appropriate to release.
- Authorization Letter for Child to Travel. Whenever you are sending your kid to go somewhere alone, with your relative or family friend, or with one parent only, you need permission from both parents to confirm they are aware of the upcoming trip;
- Medical Authorization Letter. Give someone else authority over medical decisions that affect you or your dependents while you are incapacitated or absent and grant this individual access to your medical records;
- Child Care Authorization Letter. Prepare this document to confirm your wish to let another person watch over your kids, feed them, and accompany them to and from school;
- Authorization Letter for Passport Template. If you cannot be present to receive your passport or you want the other person to receive it via mail, you can fill out a permission to collect your documentation in your absence;
- Credit Card Authorization Letter Template. Certify your willingness to share your credit card details with a person or organization and use your credit card on your behalf - usually, for a purchase in your name.
How to Write an Authorization Letter?
Here is how you should compose a Letter of Authorization:
- There is no uniform Authorization Letter format - you may write down any details you deem worthy to confirm your permission to act on your behalf. However, remember your representative will most likely be dealing with an administration or officials, so keep the tone of your letter formal. The authorization is typically short - do not write more than one page.
- Greet the recipient of the letter - if you do not know a certain name, you may write "To whom it may concern"
- Identify all parties to the authorization - while you typically need to include your full name and the name of the person or the agency you are giving permission to act on your behalf, you may need to write down the name of your child if the authorization concerns them.
- Certify your intention to permit the individual to perform a certain action in your absence - to make a decision about a minor or major surgery, to pick up your children from school, to travel with a child to a foreign country, or collect your documentation because you cannot do it yourself. List all dates, venues, destinations - you have to be specific and create limits for the authorization. For instance, when you give another individual your credit card to use, record the details of the particular financial operation they are entrusted to complete while you are away.
- Indicate the duration of the authorization - while it is not required, you should not prepare an open-ended authorization especially when dealing with a representative you do not know well personally.
- Refer to supplemental documentation the authorized person will have on hand to demonstrate the authority you have given them - a confirmation of your trip, a medical emergency, or a document that proves the need to make a purchase or delegate your parental responsibilities.
- Sign and date the letter. Although it is not necessary to notarize it, you can obtain a notary seal especially when the authorization is issued for a long period of time or for a large financial transaction.
Still looking for a particular template? Check out the related templates below: