What Is an Evaluation Form?
An Evaluation Form is a typed or handwritten document that examines the performance of individuals, usually in a working place or educational institution, to determine the strengths and weaknesses of these people and improve their performance and input in the overall well-being of the organization they belong to. This document can be prepared by the individual's superior or direct supervisor, their colleagues or peers, subordinates or students. It collects invaluable data that reflects the role of the individual under assessment and serves as a primary reason for disciplinary actions, promotions, and dismissals.
Typically, an Evaluation Form contains the following details:
- Name of the individual being assessed, their job title or department, and contact information.
- Rating system or scale that indicates the level of the individual's performance. You may use points (1-5 or 1-10) or specific adjectives (poor, unsatisfactory, satisfactory, outstanding) that will allow you to show your approval or disapproval of the person's work or academic accomplishments.
- Questions that demand detailed responses. For instance, you may collect feedback from the employee's colleagues by asking them how they assess the employee's job skills and attitude in the workplace.
- List of areas that must be reviewed - productivity, technical skills, cooperation, initiative, attendance, punctuality, etc.
- Signature of the individual that performed an evaluation. You may ask students or peers to submit anonymous reviews - in this case, the form does not need to be signed and you can accept their opinions that will not have an adverse effect on the atmosphere in your institution.
To see a full list of Evaluation Form templates, you can browse our library of forms below.
Types of Evaluation Forms
School Evaluation is performed with a focus on student growth. It lets student's parents and school representatives achieve better academic results and get rid of teachers that hinder the students' progress:
- Report Card. This refers to a teacher's assessment of the student's academic achievements. It is periodically given by the school to the student's parents to let them know the grades the student has earned in various disciplines;
- Teacher Evaluation Form. This statement, prepared either by the teacher's immediate supervisor or students, leads to the improvement of their performance and allows them to find out which teachers are considered unfair and non-productive.
Employee Evaluation is indispensable to business owners who need to identify top employees and those who cannot perform their duties at the desired level:
- Employee Evaluation Form. This form reviews the achievements and failures of all employees of the particular organization or institution. You can examine the importance of a certain individual to your business with a rating system or points system;
- Employee Self Evaluation Form. This document is completed by the employee to demonstrate how they assess their contributions to the workflow and lets them express their ideas and opinions on how the effectiveness of their performance can be enhanced;
- Training Evaluation Form. These are usually prepared by the human resources department to provide feedback on the performance of trainees after their probationary period is over.
These templates may be useful to any organization or establishment that wants to upgrade itself:
- A Workshop Evaluation Form is designed to collect comments of everyone who attended the workshop and their opinions on how your meeting and discussion went;
- A Peer Evaluation Form is a generic document that can be distributed in all kinds of institutions so that individuals can rate the skills, professional qualities, and personal traits of people they study, work, or communicate with;
- A Group Evaluation Form is filled out after you finish working in a group for your project to discover whether the teamwork was fruitful and which areas and issues should be improved for future collaborations.
Related Forms and Templates:
Teacher evaluation is a formal process that a school uses in order to review and rate teachers' performance in class. This three-page template provides simple instructions and ratings based on suggested and more creative points of reference.
This is a cooperating teacher evaluation form from Alice Lloyd College in Pippa Passes, Kentucky. It is filled out by the student teacher (coop student) upon completion of student teaching experience. It is a simple one-page self-assessment.
This is a teacher evaluation form from Westchester Day School - a private school in Mamaroneck, New York, used for assessing young children entering kindergarten.
This teacher evaluation form from the Comsats Institute of Information Technology in Pakistan gives a one-page evaluation of the teacher and the course in the form of a table.
This is a parent evaluation form made up of four pages and containing 14 questions a parent answers about the pre-school program. Most questions start with “I feel” formulations.