What Is a Change of Address Form?
A Change of Address Form is a document that contains a request from an applicant to a particular organization to deliver their correspondence to another address where they will be able to receive it.
The process of an Address Change starts from a filer filling in the appropriate application. Some government entities have developed their own Address Change Forms, such as the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), U.S. Postal Service (USPS), Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), etc.
Notifying the USPS that an address change took place does not mean that all government agencies are notified about it as well. An applicant must notify each one of them separately, otherwise, they will carry the responsibility of not getting their correspondence addressed to them. It can not only cause inconvenience but also make a filer subject to penalties.
Where Can I Get a Change of Address Form?
If an individual does not have the appropriate form, they should contact the organization where they are going to file it to find out if they have their own Address Change Form. The place where an applicant can get their own copy of the document depends on the entity they are going to notify with this form:
- PS Form 3575, Official Mail Forwarding Change of Address Order, is a USPS Change of Address Form. It is an application that is supposed to be used if an individual, an entire family, or a business wants to update their mailing address. It can be obtained in a local post office or a filer can update their mailing address online using the official USPS website;
- IRS Form 8822, Change of Address, is an IRS Change of Address Form. It is a document that an individual is supposed to complete if they want to notify the IRS that they have changed their home mailing address. It is available for download electronically, on the official IRS website. A filer can also order any forms they need from the IRS’s National Distribution Center by phone or online, they will be mailed to the applicant usually within ten days. They can also get a copy at the local Taxpayer Assistance Center, library, or post office;
- IRS Form 8822-B, Change of Address or Responsible Party - Business, is an IRS Change of Business Address Form. It is an application that must be used when a business wants to notify the IRS that they have changed their mailing address, location, or responsible party. It can be obtained the same way as the previous form;
- USCIS Form AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card, is a USCIS Change of Address Form. It is a document that should be used when a non-citizen changes their home address and needs to report to the USCIS. The document must be filed within ten days after the change. The form is available online but if a filer does not have Internet access they can contact the USCIS National Customer Service Center and order the forms they need and they will be mailed to the applicant;
- USCIS Form I-865, Sponsor’s Notice of Change of Address, is a USCIS Change of Address Form. It is an application that must be used when an individual who has submitted an affidavit of support for another person needs to report their new address. The document can be obtained the same way as the previous one;
- DA Form 3955, Change of Address and Directory Card, is an Army Address Change Form. a document that is supposed to be filled in when a service member needs to update their mailing address. It can be found online on the official website of the Army Publishing Directorate or in the local army office;
- A Social Security Change of Address Form is available online on the official website of the Social Security Administration. A filer can also change their address by visiting a local Social Security office or contacting them by phone;
Check out our library of printable templates below for a full list of Change of Address Forms sorted by department.
DMV Change of Address Forms by State
Each State DMV has developed its own Change of Address Form as many states use different regulations when it comes to changing an address. For example, in the State of New York drivers are required to inform the DMV about an address change within ten days from when the change took place. In the State of Connecticut residents are required to notify the DMV of any change of address within 48 hours. The time periods and fees vary, so it is better to consult with the local DMV office about the regulations applicable in the region. To see the form for your particular state you may check out the table below.
|Alabama||Hawaii||Massachusetts||New Mexico||South Dakota|
|Florida||Maine||New Hampshire||Rhode Island||Wisconsin|
|Georgia||Maryland||New Jersey||South Carolina||Wyoming|
Related Forms and Templates: