What Is a Change of Address Form?
A Change of Address Form is a document that contains a request from an applicant to a particular organization to deliver their correspondence to another address where they will be able to receive it.
The process of an Address Change starts with the applicant filling in the appropriate application. Some government entities - namely, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), U.S. Postal Service (USPS), and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) - have developed their own Address Change Forms.
Notifying the USPS that an address change took place does not mean that all government agencies are notified about it as well. An applicant must notify each one of them separately, otherwise, they will carry the responsibility of not getting their correspondence addressed to them. It can not only cause inconvenience but also make the applicant subject to penalties.
DMV Change of Address Forms by State
Each State DMV has developed its own Change of Address Form as many states use different regulations when it comes to changing an address. The periods and fees vary: consult with the local DMV office about the regulations applicable in the region.
For example, in New York drivers are required to inform the DMV about an address change within ten days from when the change took place. In the State of Connecticut residents are required to notify the DMV of any change of address within 48 hours.
|Alabama||Hawaii||MassachusettsThe easiest and quickest way to change your address is online: call the RMV's contact center to change your address.||New Mexico||South Dakota|
|Alaska||Idaho||Michigan||New York||TennesseeUpdate your record with your new address by mail.|
|ArizonaChange your address online at AZMVDNow.gov.||Illinois||MinnesotaIf your address has changed, you may apply for a new license at any Driver’s License Office.||North Carolina||Texas|
|ArkansasUpdate your address online through MyDMV Arkansas.||IndianaVisit a BMV branch to update your residential address (it cannot be amended online). Update your mailing address online through your myBMV account.||MississippiVisit your local DPS office in person to change your address. You cannot change your address online or by mail.||North DakotaUse the Online Address Change System to update your address. You will need your name as listed on your license, your driver’s license number, your date of birth, and the last four digits of your SSN.||UtahAddress changes can be made online or at any of the driver’s license offices in the state.|
|California||Iowa||Missouri||OhioUpdate your address via the Ohio BMV Online Services page.||Vermont|
|Colorado||Kansas||Montana||OklahomaOklahoma law requires holders of Oklahoma driver’s licenses or ID cards to notify the Department of Public Safety in writing of any change in their mailing or residential address within ten days of the fact.||Virginia|
|Connecticut||KentuckyAnytime you change your address, you must get a duplicate license at your Circuit Court Clerk's office within 10 days. Proof of residency in Kentucky is required.||NebraskaYour address must be updated within 60 days of your address change either online or at driver's licensing location.||Oregon||Washington|
|Delaware||LouisianaIf your address has changed, visit a local OMV office to have a new driver's license or identification card issued.||Nevada||Pennsylvania||West Virginia|
|FloridaAddress changes can be completed online atGoRenew.com or in person at a local office.||MaineRenew your Maine driver’s license or Maine non-driver identification card every time you change your address. You will need to provide documentary evidence of Maine residency in person.||New Hampshire||Rhode Island||Wisconsin|
|GeorgiaAddress changes can only be made in person. Have a completed online application form with you for in-person visits.||Maryland||New Jersey||South Carolina||Wyoming|
Where Can I Get a Change of Address Form?
If the applicant does not have the appropriate form, they should contact the organization where they are going to file it to find out if they have their own Address Change Form. The place where an applicant can get their own copy of the document depends on the entity they are going to notify with this form:
- USPS Form 3575, Official Mail Forwarding Change of Address Order, is the official USPS Change of Address Form. It is an application that is supposed to be used if an individual, an entire family, or a business wants to update their mailing address.
- IRS Form 8822, Change of Address, is the IRS Change of Address Form. It is a document that an applicant is supposed to complete if they want to notify the IRS that they have changed their home mailing address. Applicants can also order any forms they need from the IRS’s National Distribution Center by phone or online. These will be mailed to the applicant within no more than ten days.
- IRS Form 8822-B, Change of Address or Responsible Party - Business, is another official IRS Change of Business Address Form. It is an application that must be used when a business wants to notify the IRS that they have changed their mailing address, location, or responsible party.
- USCIS Form AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card, is the USCIS Change of Address Form. It is a document that should be used when a non-citizen changes their home address and needs to report to the USCIS. The document must be filed within ten days after the change. The form is available through the link above. Applicants with no Internet access can contact the USCIS National Customer Service Center to order the forms they need by mail.
- USCIS Form I-865, Sponsor’s Notice of Change of Address, is an application that must be used when an individual who has submitted an affidavit of support for another person needs to report their new address.
- DA Form 3955, Army Address Change Form, is the official document that is supposed to be filled in when a service member needs to update their mailing address.
- A Social Security Change of Address Form is available online on the official website of the Social Security Administration. Applicants can also change their address by visiting a local Social Security office or contacting them by phone.
Related Topics and Templates:
This is a legal document signed by foreign nationals who reside in the U.S. and want to report a change of address to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
This form is used to submit a change of residence or mailing address by eligible applicants for their California Driver's License, Identification Card, vehicles, and vessels.
This form is for those individuals who want to report an address change in the state of Virginia.
This is a form used by eligible applicants to notify the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration of any change in their address for their Maryland driver's license.
This form is used by the United States Postal Service (USPS) for a change of address. Fill it out to request the USPS to forward mail to your new destination address, whether it is a permanent or a temporary one.
This form is used to assist military members in setting up a new mailing address at a new place of residence.
You may use this one-page form to change your personal information with the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles.
Form DL-80 "Non-commercial Driver's License Application for Change/Correction/Replacement" - Pennsylvania
This is a legal document used by Pennsylvania residents who need to replace their driver's license to drive non-commercial vehicles, or modify information in the existing license and update the official records
Pennsylvania drivers may fill in this legal document to renew their driver's licenses.