What Is a Service Contract?
A Service Contract or Service Agreement is a formal written bond between a service provider and its client or customer.
The service provider agrees to provide services, ranging from individually designed to professional, and the client agrees to pay for these services in accordance with the provisions of the contract.
Types of Service Contracts
A mutual agreement for services legally binds the parties involved by setting forth their responsibilities towards each other and the penalties for violating those responsibilities. The document protects both parties by outlining the information on payments, the mode of payment, deadlines, and job duties along with clauses on dispute resolution and governing law.
While verbal agreements seem like the easy solution and, in some states, may even be enforceable, we recommend drafting a written and legally watertight Service Contract to protect your rights as either the client or the service provider.
Basic Contractor Agreements (Work for Hire Agreements)
- Independent Contractor Agreement. Use this Contractor Agreement to outline the terms, conditions, and schedule of your work.
- Subcontractor Agreement. Use this agreement to outline your duties, liabilities, and responsibilities as a subcontractor to a project.
- Volunteer Agreement. This agreement can be used to record the expectations and any agreed-upon commitment between an organization and its volunteer.
- Freelance Contract. Freelance workers and independent contractors can use this template to lay out the scope of work they will be performing as well as its conditions and terms.
Art and Design
- Photography Contract. This Photography Contract protects the photographer and their client by outlining the details regarding payment, deposit, schedule, photo editing, and additional services along with penalties for cancellation and late delivery.
- Graphic Design Contract. This legally-binding contract for graphic design projects maps out the scope of work, payment details, and schedule for both the freelance designer and their client.
- Web Design Contract. Download this easy-to-use Web Design Contract to outline the scope of the job you're about to perform for your client.
- Interior Design Contract. Looking to provide your customers with the best experience possible? Use this professional ready-made Interior Design Agreement to serve as a signed bond between you and your client.
- Decorating Contract. Use this contract to define the terms, conditions, and expectations for every agreement between you and the interior designer performing decorating services.
- Computer Repair Contract. This contract ensures that both the computer technician and their client are clear on the costs, schedule, deliverables, and terms of service.
Construction and Real Estate
- Construction Contract. This contract is a legally binding agreement between two parties - an independent contractor and their client - that records their respective responsibilities and lists the applicable policies and conditions.
- Remodeling Contract. Similar to a Construction Contract, this agreement maps out the terms and conditions of a minor construction job and records the mutual responsibilities of the independent contractor and their client.
- Landscaping Contract. This contract can be used to outline and finalize the terms of service between a landscaping provider and their client. It covers the scope of work, payment details, schedule of deliverables, and any additional mutual responsibilities.
- Property Management Agreement. This legally-binding contract is entered into by and between the owner of a property and the manager of said property. It outlines the duties and responsibilities of both parties along with the terms of payment, work schedule and a description of services.
- Pool Service Contract. Having your pool serviced regularly is a huge time and money saver. Having a well-made Pool Maintenance Contract is vital to a well-maintained pool. It's a proactive way to save your time when it comes to caring for your pool.
- Painting Contract. This detailed Painting Contract includes sections regarding job details, pricing, payment terms, and possible contract termination.
- Lawn Care Contract. Tired of making your service contracts from the ground up? Download this printable template that includes all of the main clauses vital in any lawn service job.
- Cleaning Services Contract. Download and print this Cleaning Services Contract to use with your new or existing clients. The template will help you outline the scope of work and includes clauses regarding payment, schedule, and mutual responsibilities.
- Event Planning Contract. An Event Planning Contract serves to protect all parties involved in an event. This includes the event planner, its clients, vendors, caterers, decorators, and the venue itself.
- Speaker Contract. Download this professionally made Speaker Contract template in order to clearly define the required services, compensation, schedule and the specifics regarding the use of the speaker’s intellectual property.
- Vending Contract. This contract provides the operator of the vending machine to distribute their products on the premises of the client. The merchandise usually includes, but is not limited to cold and hot beverages, cooked food and snacks, tobacco products, toys, and souvenirs.
- Catering Contract. This contract documents the agreement between a caterer and their client. It specifies the details and schedule of a catering service taking place during a set period of time on a one-time or recurring basis.
- DJ Contract. This easy-to-use contract can be used for any event that requires used when DJ services. It records the responsibilities of both the client and DJ regarding schedule, services, and payments.
- Wedding Planner Contract. Searching for a cost-effective way to get a professional Wedding Planner Contract? Download and customize our template - it's free to use and yours to keep for as long as you need it.
Sports and Training
- Personal Training Contract. Are you a personal trainer? Working freelance? Download and print this Personal Training Contract to use with new or existing clients. The template outlines the basic terms and responsibilities and includes customizable clauses regarding payments, liabilities, and schedules.
- Martial Arts Contract. Thinking of enrolling in martial arts classes? Read through our Martial Arts Contract to know what to expect and what to negotiate for with your school or coach.
- Coaching Contract. This legally-binding Coaching Contract details all of the vital aspects of the agreement between a trainer and their client. Download this easy-to-use and easy-to-understand template to use with all of your coaching clients.
- Bookkeeping Contract. Are you an independent accountant, a bookkeeper, or a representative of an agency that provides bookkeeping services? Use this Bookkeeping Contract template to record the responsibilities of all parties involved in the agreement.
- Accounting Contract. This document may be useful in providing an outline which protects your business when outsourcing the services of an accountant.
- Agency Agreement. An Agency Agreement is a document that defines the relationship between a principal and an agent. Use this printable template to give another person or entity the legal resources to act on your behalf.
- Consulting Agreement. A Consulting Agreement is perfect for freelance consultants and independent contractors looking to legally enforce their rights and responsibilities. This printable template is easy to customize and free to use with your consulting clients.
- Retainer Agreement. A Retainer Agreement can be useful both to freelancers that wish to have a guaranteed income and to employers that want to keep a professional on hand for services that may be required at a later date.
- Marketing Agreement. Looking to market your company’s new product? Are you a freelance marketer looking to offer your services? This watertight Marketing Agreement is the tool you need to market your products or services.
- Payment Agreement. This Payment Agreement includes a payment plan - a document outlining the important conditions of the loan that needs to be repaid and lists the responsibilities of both the lender and the borrower.
- Sales Contract. Looking to document the sale of personal property? This easy-to-use Sales Contract provides details about the terms of sale, delivery details, schedule, and a description of the required services.
- Settlement Agreement. A Settlement Agreement is used to bring a disagreement or dispute between separate parties to an end. Customize the template to suit your specific needs and use our how-to guide to help you through the process.
- Commission Agreement. Use this Commission Agreement to provide your employee or contractor with an outline of the terms of earning a sales commission.
- Referral Agreement. A Referral Agreement is used when one party wishes to refer prospective clients to another party in exchange for compensation. A referral is used as a recommendation or an act of providing information about the company or the goods it provides.
- Contract Termination Letter. This letter is a formal declaration from one party to another notifying the latter that a mutual contract has been canceled. The document services as a legal record that the other party has been officially notified about the cancellation and the end date.
- Addendum to a Contract. Add additional clauses to an existing contract with this free Contract Addendum. This universal template is customizable, printable and easy to use.
- Breach of Contract Notice. Feeling that a party to your mutual agreement has breached the contract? This legal document can help you notify the other party about the potential breach and provide guidelines on how it can be corrected.
- Dog Walking Contract. If you're a freelancer offering dog walking services to pet owners, then this ready-made contract will help you demonstrate that you're a professional and is bound to save you lots of time in the process.
- Nanny Contract. Need to hire a nanny to provide additional care for your kids? Download and use this printable Nanny Contract to provide guidelines for the potential employee.
- Child Care Contract. A Child Care Contract outlines the details of the partnership between the client and the child care provider. It can help prevent potential misunderstandings and provides a clear guideline for the child care provider to follow.
Service Contract Terms and Conditions
Most Service Contracts will include the same general clauses and provisions regarding the scope of work, the general schedule of deliverables, working hours (if set), total cost and upfront fees, termination conditions and a clause regarding governing law.
There are three main ways to structure a basic Service Contract.
- Time and Materials. This is the simplest type of Service Contract. The agreement is entered into strictly by two parties, where the service provider logs their hours and gets paid according to the hours worked
- Retainer-Based Contracts. A retainer-based contract is similar to the first type in the way it is set up. These agreements propose a certain set amount of work time (per week, per month, etc.) with a flat rate paid for that time regardless of the actual hours that end up being used.
- Fixed Scope Contracts. A fixed scope or fixed bid contract is a more risky and more elaborate contract. After a period of in-depth estimation and research, the service provider ends up with a work breakdown structure - the top-down decomposition of a project. These separate components are then estimated and the estimated price is presented to the client. The parties then agree on a fixed price for the entire scope of the service provider's work and set a fixed schedule of deliverables.
How to Write a Service Contract?
There are several vital points you have to cover when drafting a contract like this.
- Gather detailed identifying information about both parties. This includes full legal names, mailing addresses, and contact information.
- Provide a clear and accurate explanation of the services that will be required on the part of the service provider. Let’s say you hire an independent contractor to install tile flooring. Will they be responsible for moving the materials? Will they need to install a subfloor? Are you expecting them to do the cleaning or handle quality assurance after the work is done? An accurate description of services helps eliminate the chance of misunderstandings.
- Outline a payment schedule, decide on a method of payment, set the total cost of the project and discuss an upfront fee.
- Add clauses regarding severability and the terms for termination. Include a set period for written notice and the conditions for receiving compensation in the event the contract is actually voided.
Both parties must sign the contract in duplicate in the presence of each other and keep copies for their personal records. A signed contract between two individuals with the capacity to contract is enforceable under the law and will hold up in court.
This document is created for contractors who provide residential remodeling services. It includes areas for outlining the scope of work, its price, and legal terms and conditions. It also establishes the schedule of a construction project and specifies which individuals or businesses are going to participate in the construction process.
This is an agreement signed by a contractor and a customer to establish the scope of services a customer expects to receive from the service provider.
This is a binding agreement between the client and the web designer or developer. It contains a detailed scope of work, timelines for deliverables, project phases, milestones, and payment schedules. It can also outline the distribution of work among various teams of the project.
Download this legal document that is signed between the designer and the client to have a written record of the terms and conditions of the graphic design contract to refer to in case any disagreements ever occur.
Take a moment to fill out this document, which is signed by the photographer and the client who hired this professional to take photos during the upcoming wedding. It details the major pieces of information related to the work of a professional photographer during the wedding event.
This document is used as a contractor agreement: it records the terms and conditions of a booking arrangement between the event planner (client) and the DJ that details the information pertinent to the service provided.
Use this form if you are an individual or if you represent a company and wish to refer prospective channels or clients to another party in exchange for compensation for the referral. A referral is used as a recommendation, or an act of providing information about a certain person, company, or products.
This form contains the terms of engagement between the event planner and the client. It allows all the parties involved in the agreement to know the inclusions of the event planner service package, which helps to avoid misunderstandings throughout the work process.
If you are in need of a nanny to provide additional care for your child, this document could be of value in providing guidelines for a potential applicant.
Need to add an additional section to a previously signed contract? Check out this document to add to the agreement while still keeping the primary contract intact.
The care of a child is of the utmost importance so having a contract with a care provider can provide peace of mind to parents as well as financial guarantees to potential caregivers.
This is a legal document regarding dog walking services. Use this form to guarantee the safety of your dog and/or to provide explicit guidelines for dog walking services.
Use this document when you feel that a party to an agreement has breached a contract. This is a legal document that can help the other party understand the nature of the breach and how it can be corrected.
This form can be useful to employers that wish to keep a professional on hand for services at a later point and time or freelancers that wish to have a guaranteed income.
This form allows you and another party to make a legal settlement agreement. This kind of agreement is generally used to bring a disagreement or dispute between separate parties to an end.
A document that establishes the relationship between a principal and an agent. Use this form to give someone the legal wherewithal to act on your behalf while also protecting your interests.
Are you knowledgeable about a particular sphere or industry? You may use this document to market your consulting services without any misunderstandings between you and your potential client.
When going into business as a freelancer it is good to help your potential clients understand what services you have to offer, as well as guarantee that you will receive payment for your work. Check out this document to learn more.
Are you an organization or individual looking to utilize the services of volunteers? This document clearly outlines any information you would need to know when making an arrangement.
This document covers the area of making a legal agreement between a caterer and a client wishing to use their services. It clearly outlines the costs and services offered to each party to the agreement.
Are you looking to expand your vending business? This document may be useful when you wish to enter into an agreement with a potential client for the use of their property.
Is your company looking to market a new product? Are you a marketer looking to offer your advertising services? This document gives you the perfect format to market your products or services.
Use this document to provide an employer or employee the legal means to outline the terms of earning a sales commission. It can be useful for a worker to understand how much they will receive when making a sale.
Are you a personal trainer looking to sell your services? Are you an individual looking to enter into an agreement with a personal trainer? This document clearly outlines the guarantees necessary when making an arrangement.
Are you a martial artist looking to sell your training services? Are you an individual looking to learn more about martial arts with a personal trainer? This document clearly outlines any information you would need to know when making an arrangement.
Use this document to provide a coach, or an individual looking to be trained, with the legal means to outline an agreement. It can be useful to understand what each party promises to the other when making a contract.
Are you a business in need of a bookkeeper? Are you a bookkeeper looking to sell your services to a company? This document gives you the perfect format to market your products or services while providing guarantees for any produced work.
For businesses looking to contract the services of an accountant, this document may be useful in providing an outline which protects your business, as well as your bottom line.
Where computer repair is concerned, it is best that the computer technician and the client understand each other. Use this contract to guarantee the repair services being offered.
Are you a decorator looking to market your services? Are you a homeowner in need of a decorator? Check out this document to see everything that is required when making a legal decorating arrangement.
If you are in need of a landscaper to provide additional care for your property, this document could be of value in providing guidelines for a potential applicant.
Is your company looking to contract a cleaning service? Are you a cleaning service looking to offer your expertise? This document provides the perfect outline for cleaning services and gives guarantees to all of the involved parties.
Use this document to provide a pool service, or an individual looking to contract a pool service, with the legal means of forming a contract. This document clearly outlines any information you would need to know when making an arrangement.
Are you getting married but feel overwhelmed with the planning process? Contract the services of a wedding planner using this document to save yourself time and guarantee that special day is everything you want it to be.
Use this document to provide a public speaker with the legal means to outline an agreement with a venue. It can be useful to understand what each party promises to the other when making a contract.
Need to repaint your house but are uncertain you'll get exactly what you want? Use this document to formulate an agreement with a painter so you are able to get the exact services you desire.
This is a legal document regarding lawn care services. Use this form to guarantee the safety of your lawn and/or to provide explicit guidelines for any lawn care services you wish to work with.
Need to have the interior of your house redesigned but are uncertain you'll get exactly what you want? Use this document to formulate an agreement with an interior designer to get the exact results you desire.
This is a contract in which a buyer takes possession of a property immediately but does not receive the deed and title until a series of payments (installments) have been made. The contract is used in cases where a buyer purchases on an installment basis.