What Is a Boat Bill of Sale?
A Boat Bill of Sale - also known as a Vessel Bill of Sale or a Sales Slip - is used to record the purchase of a vessel of any type. The form records the transfer of a used boat (in this case the contract will be called a Used Boat Bill of Sale) or a new boat from a seller to a buyer. A document of this kind protects both parties of the deal, in case any issues of illegal nature occur in the future. The form serves primarily as proof that the vessel was paid for in full. It also gives all the necessary details, such as the time and place of the transaction, as well as information on both parties. Moreover, in many states, this document will be needed to register and insure the newly bought boat.
Use our version of a customizable Boat Bill of Sale template or select your state from the list below for more information on how to title and register a boat in your state of residence.
How to Sell a Boat?
If you don’t know how to sell a boat, don't worry. Selling a boat is very much like selling a car, although the procedure includes some specific features:
- First of all, make sure you’ve got all the necessary documents, including registration, and other papers that the buyer might request.
- Then, think about the price, i.e. the lowest price you would accept. Don’t forget to include the expenses, such as advertising and the cost of cleaning, for instance.
- Before advertising the boat, it is necessary to check whether everything functions properly and ensure that all the parts are in order.
- The next step is cleaning, waxing, and spraying. Make sure your vessel looks its best both from the outside and from the inside;
- Now that your boat is shiny and clean you can take pictures, to get ready for advertising. Make sure you take high-quality photos that show all the features and the shortcomings of your vessel;
- When the documents, photos, and the boat itself is ready for the sale, it’s time to decide whether you want to sell the vessel yourself, or if using a broker or dealer is a better option for you. You can choose to sell your boat through a boat listing website, or use any of the old-fashioned methods (like posting in a local newspaper, if that appeals to you). You can also use social media groups designed for this purpose, or use all these means simultaneously. Don’t forget to include your boat details: its length, model, color, and other features.
- After you started advertising the boat, potential buyers will write to you with questions. That is why you have to write your ad description as detailed as possible. But, of course, you will still have to respond and negotiate. Get ready to speak about the delivery option and the price, so you’d better think about answers to these questions in advance.
- You will also need to find the time to show and test the boat. If your schedule does not allow this, hiring a professional would help. This will also secure you from fraud. Professional dealers can easily identify a suspicious buyer. But if you decide to perform the transaction yourself, beware of any person who does not ask questions, except for monetary ones, and do not trust those who are ready to close the deal before seeing the vessel.
- Once you found a real buyer, it is time to create a Boat Bill of Sale summarizing the information about the vessel and both of the participating parties. Contact the Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) to make sure your documents meet the requirements.
Before transferring ownership, make sure you actually own the vehicle and no debts remain on the boat.
How to Write a Boat Bill of Sale?
The requirements for Bills of Sale differ from state to state. That is why, when buying or selling a vessel you should check your local DMV or Division of Fish and Wildlife to make sure you have an accurate document that meets the law requirements.
In most situations, the form will act as a receipt, however, the information included is generally more detailed. A Vessel Bill of Sale should provide the following information:
- The seller's contact information;
- The buyer's contact information;
- Date of purchase;
- Purchase price;
- A full description of the watercraft giving all the details, such as make, model, year, color, previous color, condition, hull identification number (HIN), etc;
- Information on what is sold along with the boat;
- If there is an outboard motor or a trailer, you should also state this and include all the information on it;
- Warranty information;
- Three signatures: the seller's, the buyer's, and notary's (if required by your state law).
How to Get a Title for a Boat with a Bill of Sale?
When the deal is complete, the new owner must register the boat. To apply for a legal title the buyer has to go to the DMV or another state agency that deals with boat registrations. In each state, however, the requirements concerning fees and forms are different. Having a Bill of Sale will prove the act of purchase and allow you to get the title.
Related Tags and Templates:
Download this official South Carolina vessel form in order to document the transfer of a vessel from a seller to a purchaser. It is used to prove ownership of a boat and to release the previous owner from liability for a watercraft.
This form is a document you use to substantiate the transfer of a motor vehicle or watercraft from the seller to the buyer. This state-approved document helps to record the transaction information and serves as proof of purchase.
This is a state official form issued by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR Services) that you must complete when selling or buying a boat in the state of Maryland. It contains important information about the parties of a transaction, as well as about the vessel being purchased.
Use this form when selling or buying a boat in the state of Michigan. It contains important information about the seller, buyer, and the boat you purchase, as well as details of the transaction. The form was issued by the Michigan Secretary of State and can also be used for mobile homes.
Download this official state-issued form in order to document the transfer of a vessel from the seller to the purchaser. It is required to prove ownership of the sold boat and to release the previous owner from the liability for the boat.
Fill out this form when selling or buying a vehicle or vessel in South Dakota. It requires you to describe the vehicle (its year, make, model, identification number, and title number), state the date of the sale, seller and purchaser's personal details, and the price of the item.
Form HSMV-82050 "Notice of Sale and/or Bill of Sale for a Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home, Off-Highway Vehicle or Vessel" - Florida
Use this document if you need to buy or sell a vehicle, mobile home or a vessel in the state of Florida. This form serves both as a bill of sale and notice of sale and is required during the vehicle's registration. It is an important document for the seller and the buyer.
Form TD-420-065 is a legal form designed to record the fact of purchase of a vehicle or vessel sold in the state of Washington.
This is a legal form used during the sale or purchase of a watercraft. It is an important document you will need to record the transfer of ownership and make your transaction legitimate.
Fill out this legal document if you wish to buy or sell a boat in the State of Hawaii. The form allows you to record important details pertinent to a watercraft transfer. The document is accepted by all government bodies in the state as a proof of sale.
Use this official state-issued form to record the transfer of a watercraft and motor from a seller to a buyer. This document supports the fact of the sale and provides basic details of the deal. This document was released by the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries.
This is the official state form you must complete when selling or buying a vehicle or boat in the state of Massachusetts. It is issued by the Massachusetts Division of Law Enforcement and contains important information about the seller, buyer, and the vehicle or boat you are purchasing, as well as details of the transaction.
Fill out this form if you wish to buy or sell a boat in the state of North Carolina. It allows you to record important details pertinent to the watercraft transfer. The document is accepted by all government bodies in North Carolina as proof of sale.
Download this official Tennessee boat form in order to document the transfer of a vessel from a seller to a purchaser. You can prove ownership of the boat with the help of this form and release the previous owner from liability for the watercraft.
If you need to sell or buy watercraft in the state of Illinois, you are welcome to use this template. It contains a section on personal details that identify both parties of a sale, the description of the boat, and the terms of the purchase.
Download this document to formalize your purchase of a watercraft. This form is one of the key documents that makes the transaction legitimate. It proves the agreement of the parties took place, which can protect the seller and the buyer from any conflicts that may occur in the future.
This template generally includes information about parties of a transaction, as well as details about the boat and constitutes a legally binding agreement between a seller and a buyer. It can be used in the state of Maine to transfer ownership of a boat.
Download this document if you wish to purchase or sell your boat. It contains important information about the seller, the buyer, and the boat you purchase, as well as the details of the transaction. The State of Mississippi does not possess any official forms you can use in this case, although Bolivar county provides its own official form for this occasion.
This is the official form you must complete when selling or buying a boat in the state of New Hampshire. It contains important information about the seller, the buyer, and the boat you purchase, as well as the details of the transaction.
This document is completed during the watercraft transfer within the state of New Jersey. It is created as written evidence of the fact of the boat sale and provides essential information about the deal: the names of both parties, the date of transfer, the amount paid, and the description of the sold vessel.
Download this Bill of Sale in order to document the transfer of a vessel from the seller to the purchaser. It is used to prove ownership of the sold boat and to release the previous owner from the liability for the watercraft in the state of Oklahoma.
Download this Rhode Island-specific form in order to document the transfer of a vessel from a seller to a purchaser. A Bill of Sale is needed to prove ownership of a sold boat and to release the previous owner from liability for the watercraft.
This document is completed during a watercraft transfer in the state of Wyoming. It is created as written evidence of a boat sale and provides essential information about the deal: the names of both parties, the date of transfer, the amount paid, and the description of the sold vessel. Converse County has its own official form.